Archive

‘Missing’ construction figure’s company seeks funds

Vince Santoro owner of Elite Civil Group. Supplied Photo: Supplied
Nanjing Night Net

An excavation firm, whose owner vanished claiming to be in police protection while owing more than $5 million in unpaid bills, has made an application to access more money from the sale of two Sydney properties.

Vincent Santoro, the director of Elite Civil Group, vanished from Sydney in February 2014 amid claims from subcontractors he owed at least $5 million in unpaid debts across seven construction sites to more than 50 firms.

It led to bikie gangs turning up at construction sites across Sydney and loading machinery onto trucks in a bid to reclaim debts.

At one site bikies even took the microwave from the staff kitchen and loose change from a worker’s pocket.

Now, Elite Civil Group and its liquidator Mitchell Warren Bell have made an application in the NSW Supreme Court to be paid money held by the court on behalf of Mr Santoro’s wife, Rene Santoro.

That money is from the court-ordered sale of two homes in Mrs Santoro’s name – one at Horningsea Park in Sydney’s south-west and the other in the southern suburb of Barden Ridge.

Creditors have contacted Fairfax Media concerned they still will not see any of the $5 million in payments they are owed by Mr Santoro, who was most recently seen fishing in far north Queensland.

In the days before he was last seen in Sydney, Mr Santoro transferred $500,000 in 12 transactions from his company’s bank accounts into that of his wife.

Mr Santoro later told a hearing in the Federal Court of Australia that he did so because he was being extorted and forced to pay $300,000 to a known identity.

He told the court he paid the money because he had been sent a text message that read: “Vince, you dog, Vince you dog. If you don’t go and withdraw that 100k and bring it to me today I’m gonna … kill your dog of a son. Got it?”

But Mr Santoro’s phone records, and those of the person he claimed to have been extorted by, were produced before the court and revealed the threatening message was never sent.

Mr Santoro claimed he visited Green Valley police station a few days later and was placed in “police asylum”.

He told the court that due to the level of threats he received over a 48-hour period, he was told he was being put in protection and moved away. The $500,000 he withdrew from the company accounts were meant to be his living expenses, he told the court.

Fairfax Media has ascertained that Mr Santoro is not in police custody.

During the court hearing Mr Santoro also admitted to having a membership to an exclusive level of The Star casino for “spending more than the average person on the gaming floor”.

At the time he fled Sydney in February 2014, Mr Santoro and his family also had more than 40 bank accounts in their names.

He is now understood to be living in Cairns while court action continues in a bid to recoup the money he owes.

Mr Santoro has previously been the manager of more than a dozen companies, all of which have been “sunk” or deregistered.

Bank statements, viewed by Fairfax Media, show Mr Santoro transferred hundreds of thousands of dollars from the company’s bank account into personal accounts via a number of transactions between December 2013 and February 2014.

His bank accounts were frozen by the courts after he attempted to withdraw money from a bank in South Australia in the weeks after he left Sydney.

Fairfax Media was unable to reach Mr Santoro for comment.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More

Don’t play the blame game

Don’t play the blame game Helping Hand: Dr Anousha Victoire helps sexual assault victims at the Newcastle Sexual Assault Service. Hundreds of Hunter people are victims of sex crimes each year. Picture: Simone De Peak.
Nanjing Night Net

TweetFacebookNewcastle Herald reported on Monday that1246 sex crimes occurredin the Hunter last year.

Three quarters of the victims were children and juveniles, including about 700 females and more than 200 males.

Dr Anousha Victoire said 98 per cent of the service’spatients were female.

Nevertheless, the service does see male and transgender clients.

Dr Victoire said it was important for victims to have people who “believe them and are ready to support them”.

“If someone as a friend comes to you and discloses a sexual assault, the main thing you could do is validate what they’re saying,” said Dr Victoire, who is the Newcastle Sexual Assault Service’s medical lead.

“Often the first thing people will say is ‘what were you doing there, why were you wearing that, why did you go to his house?’.”

She said this type of reaction can worsen the guilt and shame that victims feel.

“It might make them less likely to come forward to police,” she said.

About 100 to 120 victims seek help each year from the service for “crisis support” after an assault.

“That’s the last couple of years. Five years ago, we were only seeing half that,” Dr Victoire said.

“I don’t think less assaults were happening back then, I think it was just that people weren’t coming forward to get help because of the stigma around sexual assault.

“People worry about being blamed.”

Dr Victoire urged victims to contact the service or present to John Hunter Hospital or police, as soon as possible after an incident.

“Don’t delay. Some people wait and go home and think about it and then come.

“Every hour, the potential for evidence to be lost increases.”

She added that there were time limits for emergency contraceptive pills to be effective.

Dr Victoire said victims who attend the service do not have to proceed with reporting the crime to police.

Some victims who seek the service’s help choose not to have a forensic medical examination.

“Sometimes we’re just giving medical care for pregnancy prevention and advice about sexually transmitted infections,” she said.

Treatment may involve a prophylaxis to stop a victim acquiring an infection.

The service provides support to dozens of other victims, beyond the immediate time surrounding an incident.

“Even if ithappened a while ago, the service is there to provide ongoing counselling and support,” she said.

“We can also give support to victims who have decided to go forward to court.”

The Newcastle Sexual Assault Service is on 4924 6333.

The NSW Rape Crisis line is 1800 424 017,Kids Helpline is 1800 551 800,Lifeline is13 11 14 and MensLine Australia is1300 789 978.

RELATED STORIES

Hunter MP’s terrifying sexual assault ordeal

Offences for rape and other sexual offences hit 1246 in the Hunter last year

Hundreds of children abusedin the Hunter

Read More

Pig farmer bashed to death while wife played dead in home invasion: court

Lucina Boldi (2nd from right) at Darlinghurst Supreme court for the trial of Ryan David Evans who has pleaded not guilty of murdering her partner Keith Cini in May 2014. Sydney, NSW. 10th May, 2017. Photo: Kate Geraghty Photo: Kate GeraghtyWARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES
Nanjing Night Net

The partner of a pig farmer bashed to death in their Badgerys Creek home has described how she “played dead” so a masked intruder would stop hitting her.

Lucina Boldi told the NSW Supreme Court on Wednesday how she was woken in the early hours of May 30, 2014, by her de facto husband Keith Cini calling out her nickname, “Luce”.

She turned on the light and opened her bedroom door and saw two men dressed in dark clothing and with their faces covered standing with Mr Cini outside his bedroom door.

As one of the men turned towards her, she went back inside her bedroom.

“I put my back to the door trying to hold the person out but I wasn’t strong enough,” she told the court.

“The door got pushed and I was pushed in and I think I got hit in the head and the person kept hitting me and I put my arms up to protect my face.”

She fell to the ground and asked her attacker to stop, but he didn’t.

Senior Crown prosecutor Christopher Maxwell, QC, said, “Was there a point when he stopped?”

“When he thought I was dead,” she said.

“What did you do to make him think that?” Mr Maxwell asked.

“I didn’t move,” she replied.

Ms Boldi said she then heard one of the men say, “That’s enough, Brian.”

She continued to play dead while she heard smashing sounds and a voice saying, “Here it is.”

One of the men then returned and kicked her on the leg.

About 10 minutes later, she went and found Mr Cini lying on the floor, unconscious. She called triple zero.

Ryan David Evans, 28, is charged with murder in connection with the death of Mr Cini and with wounding with intent to murder Ms Boldi.

She suffered fractures to her arm and hand. She has a steel plate in her arm and cannot close her hand. She also had 50 stitches to her head.

Mr Cini was a pig farmer who would deliver pigs to restaurants in his trucks. He would keep the days’ cash takings in two safes in his home office.

Mr Evans allegedly once worked for him.

Mr Evans has pleaded not guilty to a total of seven charges related to the home invasion and another that occurred a month earlier in Medway, in the NSW Southern Highlands.

In that incident, Mr Evans allegedly attacked Brett Delamont??? with a pick handle in the early hours of April 28, 2014.

On Tuesday, Mr Delamont’s wife Alana Bush told the court she woke up to find two masked men in her bedroom, with her husband, suffering an injured and bloodied head, convulsing beside her.

One man yelled at her to stop screaming, saying, “Shut up, or I’ll hit him again” before he lunged and hit across the bed where her husband was lying.

Asked who else was in the house, Ms Bush eventually told him her daughter, Kirby Delamont, and her boyfriend both were.

Ms Bush said when the intruder replied “Nobody’s going to get hurt” she gestured towards her bleeding and convulsing husband and said: “He’s going to die.”

The couple’s hands and legs were tied and, as a pillowcase was put over her head, Ms Bush begged: “Please don’t kill us.”

The first intruder left while the other man stayed.

“I asked him to stop the crazy guy going into my daughter’s bedroom,” Ms Bush said.

When the second man said nobody was going to get hurt, Ms Bush stated: “Look at the hole in his [her husband’s] head.”

“We need help … he is bleeding, he is shaking, he is going to die.”

The man later told her: “This is not personal, it’s random.”

Ms Delamont said she woke to hear her mother screaming.

Two masked figures appeared at the bottom of her bed, one holding a pole-like weapon and the other a light.

“Their faces weren’t visible, they were covered by something,” she said.

One man yelled at her and her boyfriend to “get under the covers” before their wrists and legs were tied and he said: “I will be softer on you, sweetie.”

The Crown alleges Mr Evans and two other men were involved in the Medway invasion, one of whom had previous contact with the family and knew the house layout.

Mr Delamont was left with severe brain damage and $8000 in cash was stolen from the home.

The trial, which began before Justice Robert Allan Hulme on Monday is expected to go for 20 days.

With AAP

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More

Sport plays a united game

PROUD: Newcastle Knights centre Dane Gagai (seventh from left) with representatives from all 16 clubs showcasing the specially-designed jerseys ahead of this weekend’s annual Indigenous round. Picture: NRL mediaThis weekend I will once again wear the red and blue jersey, but it will carry moremeaning than most.
Nanjing Night Net

Beyond simply representing the Hunter regionand NRL as per normal, the specially-designed uniforms for the now-annual Indigenous roundpresenta special opportunity for players, fans and the community alike to recognise the original land owners of this country as well as their traditional culture.

For us at the Newcastle Knights, teammates Dane Gagai and Jaelen Feeney have crafted something from their own heads and their own hearts for individuals to wear and everyone to share.

This instils me with passion and pride.

I am a white Australian, but I feel honoured to stand alongside those boys and wear this Indigenous jersey on such a special occasion.

Dane and Jaelen have incorporated images from their own heritage, including personal totems the shovel nosed shark and goanna respectively, but also added the Southern Cross to reinforce the fact we are one Australian nation. Reconciliation is our aim together.

Sport, especially rugby league, acts as the perfect platform to help unite people because when you’re in a team youstrive for a common goal, soit doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from.Differences should be embraced on a level playing field.

“The jersey and the round mean so much to me and my family because I get to represent my people and culture by playing the game I love,” Jaelen told me this week.

To the game itself against Canberra at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday afternoon, and following on from my representative experience in the final chapter of City-Country Origin, I hope to have that winning feeling two weeks in a row.

I feel rejuvenated after learning from the likes of coach Brad Fittler, captain Paul Gallen and young gun Nathan Cleary and I want to implement that energy back at the Knights.

Now we’re at home for the first time in a while and close encounters with the Raiders last season and a trial win this year give us a certain amount of confidence.

But we know the men in green present a difficult challenge, especially with attacking weapons like Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana, and we’ll have to execute our game plan for 80 minutes if we want to claimtwo valuable competition points.

Read More

Surgical answer for GERD

WORTH CONSIDERING: Ideal candidates for GERD surgery Include young people not willing to be on medication for life, people not getting complete relief of symptoms with medication, and people with very large hiatus hernias. Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) is one of the commonest ailments in the community.
Nanjing Night Net

It occurs when the contents of the stomach reflux back up into the oesophagus.

Often referred to as heartburn, about 10 per cent of the community suffer symptoms at least once a week.

Most cases are treated by over-the-counter medications which alleviate the effects of the acid, but notthe reflux.

In a small proportion of sufferers, left untreated the reflux can deteriorate to the point it is debilitating, causingserious complications, including oesophageal cancer.

These people should consider surgery, according toDr TIm Wright, from Eastern Surgical Services at Charlestown.

“The procedure is called a fundoplication and is done with keyhole surgery,” he said.“Cure rates are approximately 95 per cent and any side effects are very manageable.”

Many people with bad reflux are unaware that surgery is an option. Robert Prosser, from Edgeworth, was one. The57-year-old suffered from what he thought was bad heartburn for years.

He tried all the over-counter treatments –Mylanta, Gaviscon, Quickeze, Somac, even bi-carb soda in milk. None to any great effect.

“It got to the point I was waking up four of five times a night with the contents of my stomach spilling into my lungs,” Mr Prosser said.

“It caused so much damage to the back of my throat it led to Barrett’s Condition where the skins cells become pre-cancerous.”

After consulting with Dr Wright, Mr Prosser underwent afundoplication.”

“I haven’t had reflux since,” Mr Prosser said. “Not one Somac tablet, Quickeze, nothing. As far as I can be, Iam normal, although some of my friendsmight disagree.”

Mr Prosser was in hospital for two nights and back at bowls within two weeks.

“It’s a fantastic outcome,” Mr Prosser said. “I didn’t realise I had the problem until Ihad the bowel screen thing six years ago which picked up blood, which led me to having a gastroscopy and colonoscopy.”

Dr Wright emphasises that if considering such an operation, take time to find an experienced surgeon.

As far as Mr Prosser is concerned, the message is simple.

“Don’t put up with heartburn, for gods sake. It’s not normal in any way shape or form if it’s happening four or five times a day.”

For more information contact Dr Wright at Eastern Surgical Services on4032 8777.

Read More